List of artists/musicians/personalities I saw during my time in Taiwan:
**the number next to their name signifies how many times I saw each artist
Again, if you have any questions about any of the artists I saw, please feel free to ask! I'm happy to answer whatever I can. These are artists from all walks of life, some are producers who I really like, or musicians I really appreciate, or of course singers who I'm a fan of. Some may be jazz musicians, others singers from eras past or some of the new up and coming indie musicians. I am so glad to be a part of all these events, and to have had the chance to watch them all perform in their respective professional settings!
Mify Chen (from Roomie)
许仁杰 Stanley Hsu
Lara Veronin梁心颐 (4)
林俊杰JJ Lin (2)
Andrew Chen陈势安 (3)
Lala Hsu 徐佳莹(3)
Hsiao Hung Jen萧闳仁
He ren jie 河仁杰
Skot Suyama (2)
张震岳Chang Chen yue
Lin yu chun小胖
Huang zhi jiao
威权from lollipop F
As I've finally started going through all my Taiwan stuff I've decided to create a log of all the concerts and events that I've been given the privilege of attending during my time in Taiwan. If you'd like any information about any of the concerts that are listed below, feel free to comment or to message Asian Pop Weekly via facebook!
· 21st-Sunny Frog concert @ Ximending Riverside Featuring Lara Veronin, Stanley Hsu, Mify Chen and others
· 24th-KKBOX Awards @ Taipei Arena featuring JJ Lin, Sodagreen, Lala hsu, Yen-J, William Wei, Diana Wang, Dawen Wang, Jam Hsiao, Queen Wei etc..
· 14th-Lara Veronin at Chengyuan High School with Freya Lin
· 28th-Joanna Wang <Midnight Cinema> screening
· 29th-William Wei <有所畏> autograph session at Huashan Creative Park
· 30th-势在必行2 音乐分享Party at Huashan Creative Park
· 11th-Lara Veronin at永春高中with R.Chord and Bii
· 19th –Yen-Joy Everyday Birthday Concert at Legacy Taipei
· 20th-VChuan 《全是爱》 autograph session at City Café 花房
· 20th –Joanna Wang Free Music Event & Autograph Session
· 22nd-Yen-J&Hsiao Hung-Jen 娱乐百分百好友音乐会 Filming at GTV station
· 5th-MP Magic Power Autograph Session for Coke @ 7-11
· 7th-Gigantic Roar音乐会@ Legacy Taipei
· 10th-William Wei <在你身边>Concert @ Legacy Taipei
· 14th –Peggy Hsu <La Valse>音乐会@Starbucks Gongguan
· 16th-金曲奖Program Filming featuring Yen-J, Ricky Hsiao, Li Ya Sha among others
· 23rd-Interviews with Shawna Yang, Brandy Wu and Michelle Wu from Metamorphosis Jazztet @Blue Note Jazz Club
· 24th-City of Irony featuring Esther and Lara Veronin screening at SPOT cinemas in Huashan Creative Park
· 24th -Yoga Lin Speaking in Tongues Concert @Taipei Arena
· 30th-Metamorphosis Jazztet Lunchtime Concert
· 30th-Interview with Skot Suyama
· 31st-Ricky Hsiao <上水的花> Autograph session @ Huashan Creative Park
· 31st-Dawen Wang & Hush performance at NTU
· 1st-Hito Awards Featuring Hebe, Tanya Chua, Lala hsu, William Wei, Claire Kuo, Rachel Liang, JJ Lin, Sodagreen,Waa Wei, Dawen Wang, Yen-J,Diana Wang, Jia Jia etc.
· 5th-The Next Big Thing event @ Legacy Taipei
· 6th –William Wei lecturing for the Golden Melody Awards program @ NTU
· 15th-Lala Hsu preview concert for new album <寻启人生>@ Legacy Taipei
· 22nd-Met Lara & Esther at Topo Café for Afternoon Tea after winning TAWKI poster competition
· 26th –Golden Melody Awards Livehouse-Crossing Borders featuring Olivia Ong, Andrew Tan, Diana Wang and others
It was a great night out for me at the Riverside河岸留言 music venue; not too many people showed up, but the crowd was shy but enthusiastic, supporting their favourite acts and even bringing along signboards and posters! All the better for me to get up close and personal with the artists, including my favourite Lara Veronin, as well as Mify (member of disbanded band Roomie), Aoki and many others!
The very cute Musical Director Mc-ed the night with a huge dose of adorable dorkiness, but was able to take the edge off things, making it a relaxing night for both the performers while onstage and the audience. Although I don't know the names of all the members of Sunny Frog Productions personally, I feel that each of them played and performed with professionalism and a sense of humour which is always needed in situations such as these! There were a few technical hitches throughout the concert, but between the MC desperately trying to give out drink vouchers no one seemed to want and the friendly but one-sided banter between the artists and the audience; I think there were bigger things at hand to worry about. Although the crowd was somewhat aloof the whole time, looking around I saw people who were enthusiastic (albeit inwardly) about supporting good music, and was happy to join them in enjoying the wonderful music that was played for us that friday night.
The first act of the night was Lin Jun Lin, a quiet, unassuming girl who's guitar playing and voice quietly blew the crowd away. Although she's not much by the way of stage personalities, her talent shines through, as does her sweet and clear vocals and meaningful lyrics in <叛逆>(Rebellious).
The Sunny Frog Productions team worked well together, performing a seamless string of original songs with a great rhythm to each piece. It was really great to see everyone enjoying themselves up on stage, and seeing each performer as an instrumental and equal part of each song made me really happy! There's not much I can say, other than that I thoroughly enjoyed each and every song they performed. Also a special mention to dance duo Sam and Ding Ding, whose contemporary-influenced dance to <流浪到淡水> (if I'm not wrong) was really impressive and captured the dynamics and rhythm of the song perfectly!
Aiko方語昕, a popular cover artist on youtube shared her story with loyal fans and audience alike, how she found herself through her music and her journey in finding happiness. I was impressed with the songs that she wrote herself with arrangements by Sunny Frog, but felt the <狮子路口>(Lion's mouth) was a little indulgent and it was really hard for me to find the melody line in the song. Her bubbly personality really won me over, as well as the passion and dedication that she put into learning the guitar.
Mify, previously a member of the girl group Roomie preferred not to be associated so much with the disbanded group, but definitely held her own with her powerhouse vocals and great stage personality. Performing a song from her Roomie days, she brought it in a whole new direction and injected it with energy and focus. Her cover of <Titanium> also showed off her strong vocals and the creativeness of using a vocal changing machine in <The future> brought an element of excitement to the performance, but also made it harder for me to hear where the song was going. however, it had a rocking rhythm and the band was so energetic that it was still a hit for me. Definitely one of the artists who impressed me the most tonight!
Previous million star contestant (A popular taiwanese singing contest) Xu Ren Jie Stanly Xu made a surprising entrance by appearing within the crowd and starting the performance of his own creation <The light from the stars> from within the audience, before slowly making his way onto stage. The song was a warm ditty that was further enhanced by his strong baritone vocals. His rendition of the song <Catch A Feeling> where he encouraged the crowd to sing along was well done, but it was a pity that his attempts at getting the crowd to sing along were very much in vain.
And last but definitely not least was the act that I was waiting for ; Lara Veronin! (Side note: I was so excited I couldn't sleep the night before!) Having never heard her sing live before, but having seen videos, I kind of knew what I was in for but was impressed all the same. Starting off with a rock version of her song <Free Spirit> , Lara got the crowd moving with her all-encompassing stage personality, before performing her new song with Sunny Frog Productions' Roger <好开始>(Good beginnings) which she wrote the lyrics for! Finally she ended on a high note with her rendition of Bon Jovi's <It's my life>, encouraging the audience to sing along and showing off her high vocal range and technique. Honestly I think I was a little in shock throughout her performance just seeing her for the first time, but I really do think that she did a phenomenal job this time around.
Unfortunately, I had to leave almost straight after, so wasn't able to stick around for the last few songs, the final bow and TAWKI-Taipei As We Know It's creative event being held afterwards, but went back really happy,having listened to some really great artists performing some really good music.For a lot of these artists, they probably don't get much of a chance to perform songs that they've written themselves for large audiences, so it was really nice for me to hear them and their ideas through their music. Definitely regret not getting the EP on sale which featured many of the songs performed on the night, but was still really impressed by creative spirit that encompassed the entire performance. I would go again in a heartbeat.
Concert Track List:
1. Guitar Instrumental
2.叛逆Rebellious (Original piece by 林君琳)
Sunny Frog Productions
3.小雨伞(Sang by Roger from Sunny Frog Productions ; Original piece by Sunny Frog Productions)
4.暗ni(?)(Sunny Frog Productions Original)
5.流浪到淡水(Sunny Frog Productions Original)
8.狮子路口(Possibly not the right name)
9.你懂我You get me(Original by Roomie)
11.未来 the future
许仁杰 Hsu Ren Jie
12.小星星的光The light from the stars(Original by Ren Jie)
13.Catch a Feeling
15.好开始Good Beginnings (Lara's new duet with Roger from Sunny Frog Productions)
16. It's My Life (Bon Jovi cover)
Sunny Frog Productions
**Sorry that the concert track list is incomplete; I did the best I could.