Hey guys, and welcome back for the final instalment of this series! Writing it all down makes me feel much happier about everything, and I hope that perhaps you've gained something from it too! If not, listening to some great music is always good too! Drop us a comment below if you're feeling up to it :)
-INFINITE POSSIBILITIES 13.11.14
-WHAT'S NEXT 17.11.14
-A SECRET HOLLOW 19.11.14
Listen to the playlist Here.
A SECRET HOLLOW
I miss Taipei so much that it's not even funny. Thinking about all the opportunities that I've missed by not being there really makes me sad, but knowing that I'll be back there again someday does make me feel better. Many people live in foreign countries for a good deal of their life, because of business, because of university, or due to many other factors. They rent houses, get gym memberships, visit the local supermarket and make friends. But after it's time to leave, many of them don't return for years, or decades even. Although they've built their relationships, spent time to understand their surroundings and made themselves comfortable; for these people that place isn't home for them. Many of my friends that I met in Taipei (international and exchange students) are already missing home, wanting to go back and probably won't visit again for a while. But even though I never even got around to fully unpacking my luggage the entire time I was in Taipei, the place is nevertheless already like another home to me. Living in between Singapore and Australia for so long, you kind of feel like you have to pick a side; which one is better than the other. But one day I realised that I wasn't-or wouldn't have been happy living the rest of my life in either, any way that I imagined it. And then I thought; what about Taipei? Honestly, everyone thought I was a little bit insane (most of all my own mother), telling me that this experience would not be all that I expected it to be. But I had already gotten enough of a taste, and also had a very strong sixth sense that this was the right place for me to be in. I feel so at home in Taiwan's settings, taking in its sights, smells and sounds I feel like they're already ingrained in me, a part of me. So although no one knows what's going to happen in the future, I do know one thing for certain-Taiwan will always have a place in my heart, and it reassures me to know that it will always be there, waiting for me when I need it most.
Just like Lala hsu's <树洞的声音>(Sound of tree hollows), Taipei is the place where I leave all my secrets, fears, hopes and dreams.So I'll be back someday to pick them up, just you wait and see!
List of artists/musicians/personalities I saw during my time in Taiwan:
**the number next to their name signifies how many times I saw each artist
Again, if you have any questions about any of the artists I saw, please feel free to ask! I'm happy to answer whatever I can. These are artists from all walks of life, some are producers who I really like, or musicians I really appreciate, or of course singers who I'm a fan of. Some may be jazz musicians, others singers from eras past or some of the new up and coming indie musicians. I am so glad to be a part of all these events, and to have had the chance to watch them all perform in their respective professional settings!
Mify Chen (from Roomie)
许仁杰 Stanley Hsu
Lara Veronin梁心颐 (4)
林俊杰JJ Lin (2)
Andrew Chen陈势安 (3)
Lala Hsu 徐佳莹(3)
Hsiao Hung Jen萧闳仁
He ren jie 河仁杰
Skot Suyama (2)
张震岳Chang Chen yue
Lin yu chun小胖
Huang zhi jiao
威权from lollipop F
As I've finally started going through all my Taiwan stuff I've decided to create a log of all the concerts and events that I've been given the privilege of attending during my time in Taiwan. If you'd like any information about any of the concerts that are listed below, feel free to comment or to message Asian Pop Weekly via facebook!
· 21st-Sunny Frog concert @ Ximending Riverside Featuring Lara Veronin, Stanley Hsu, Mify Chen and others
· 24th-KKBOX Awards @ Taipei Arena featuring JJ Lin, Sodagreen, Lala hsu, Yen-J, William Wei, Diana Wang, Dawen Wang, Jam Hsiao, Queen Wei etc..
· 14th-Lara Veronin at Chengyuan High School with Freya Lin
· 28th-Joanna Wang <Midnight Cinema> screening
· 29th-William Wei <有所畏> autograph session at Huashan Creative Park
· 30th-势在必行2 音乐分享Party at Huashan Creative Park
· 11th-Lara Veronin at永春高中with R.Chord and Bii
· 19th –Yen-Joy Everyday Birthday Concert at Legacy Taipei
· 20th-VChuan 《全是爱》 autograph session at City Café 花房
· 20th –Joanna Wang Free Music Event & Autograph Session
· 22nd-Yen-J&Hsiao Hung-Jen 娱乐百分百好友音乐会 Filming at GTV station
· 5th-MP Magic Power Autograph Session for Coke @ 7-11
· 7th-Gigantic Roar音乐会@ Legacy Taipei
· 10th-William Wei <在你身边>Concert @ Legacy Taipei
· 14th –Peggy Hsu <La Valse>音乐会@Starbucks Gongguan
· 16th-金曲奖Program Filming featuring Yen-J, Ricky Hsiao, Li Ya Sha among others
· 23rd-Interviews with Shawna Yang, Brandy Wu and Michelle Wu from Metamorphosis Jazztet @Blue Note Jazz Club
· 24th-City of Irony featuring Esther and Lara Veronin screening at SPOT cinemas in Huashan Creative Park
· 24th -Yoga Lin Speaking in Tongues Concert @Taipei Arena
· 30th-Metamorphosis Jazztet Lunchtime Concert
· 30th-Interview with Skot Suyama
· 31st-Ricky Hsiao <上水的花> Autograph session @ Huashan Creative Park
· 31st-Dawen Wang & Hush performance at NTU
· 1st-Hito Awards Featuring Hebe, Tanya Chua, Lala hsu, William Wei, Claire Kuo, Rachel Liang, JJ Lin, Sodagreen,Waa Wei, Dawen Wang, Yen-J,Diana Wang, Jia Jia etc.
· 5th-The Next Big Thing event @ Legacy Taipei
· 6th –William Wei lecturing for the Golden Melody Awards program @ NTU
· 15th-Lala Hsu preview concert for new album <寻启人生>@ Legacy Taipei
· 22nd-Met Lara & Esther at Topo Café for Afternoon Tea after winning TAWKI poster competition
· 26th –Golden Melody Awards Livehouse-Crossing Borders featuring Olivia Ong, Andrew Tan, Diana Wang and others
Especially when you’re left to your own devices in a foreign land, it is really up to you and your wits to get through each situation. Being a person who is not familiar with directions in Taipei, my first day consisted of me and my family running around like headless chickens(sorry!) in the rain and cold trying to find my allocated accommodation. In such situations, humour and patience are your best buddies, as getting anxious and angry will do no good to yourself or those around you trying to help! I see myself consciously learning and realising things in a foreign place, but it’s probably just the new surroundings that are making me even more aware of my thoughts and experiences. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is: be patient and be kind, it’ll get you a lot further than anger and anxiety. But you probably already knew that..
Anyway, I'd also like to share a song that I really love related to travelling; Cheer Chen's <旅行的意义>(The meaning of travelling). I also especially love Lala Hsu's arrangement of it, but both of the versions inspire a sense of exploration and freedom in me. So sit back, relax and have a listen!
It's been my dream since I started getting to know more about Chinese music to be able to live in Taipei, and now I'm finally going to be able to! Starting from the 11th of February, I will be staying in Taipei for 139 days and hope to share parts of my experiences that may be helpful with readers everywhere! (Feb 2014)